In the pursuit to
expand my scrolling to the heights I decided to build a scroll
saw using only the motor and switch from my commercial machine.
The ability to weld was useful although my welding is poor.
The machine is similar to the popular British built and supplied
by Hobbies in Dereham Norfolk. The principle is two parallel
arms working together to give a positive motion, this is comparable
with the popular brand 'Diamond'
As you can see it's not pretty but still I made it in a day
only with the materials laying around a bit like 'Scrap Heap
Challenge'. The arm bearings are large shaft bearings crudly
welded to the arm and frame so not easily replacable but they
do work and large enough not to be a problem for years.
The motor was of my old cheap fretsaw which was destined
for the heap. I drilled the rod to take a bearing
The basic first attempt for a blade clamp was problematic
as allignment of the fret blade was difficult
The switch also came from my broken saw
This is the new improved blade clamp and still on my saw
and it works very well. This was made from a 10mm Allen Key
with a cut made with a Ecipse Junior Hacksaw. I then drilled
a hole and taped it to take a m5 bolt this gave the operation
to clamp the blade. The top clamp needed to be adjustable
so I had to overcome some issues. For the clamp to move up
and down it needs to fit into a collar but then it could twist.
To overcome this I used a old 10mm socket which prevented
the clamp from twisting. A simple adjuster was made with a
short piece of threaded rod locking nut.